Thursday, October 05, 2006

Jungle in my front yard

My sister enjoys gardening.

It’s not that she cares for plants; it’s just her way of releasing stress and all the tribulations of work.

Unfortunately, she doesn’t have an eye for aesthetics. She plants whatever catches her fancy. Three months ago it was papaya. The grown plant is presently leaning awkwardly by the balustrade, beside a bunch of ferns. I’m currently sitting under it right now ---- reading a book and sipping hot Chamomile tea.


I also need to relax.

In fact, I’ve voluntarily imposed a “news blackout” for myself today. This means no television, radio or newspapers --- just silence and the company of plants.

A constant supply of "bad news" isn't healthy for our bodies—our cells are designed to take in joy and peace, not catastrophe.

I’ve spent my weekends for the past few months just gazing at these plants, sipping tea, and trying not to think about the office.

There is something about nature that mutes internal chatter and heals the spirit. I also sleep better at night.