Sunday, January 13, 2008

The Benefits Of Living In Cebu

I'm currently reading the book "Reading Lolita In Tehran." This material is an eye opener for me ---- an intimate peek into the lives of people under a very repressive regime.

After knowing all the restrictions they have there, it made me appreciate more my life in Cebu. The first thing I did after putting the book down was to binge on two pints of coffee crumble and chocolate ice cream while watching school kids practicing their Sinulog festival dance (complete with colorful tribal costumes) at the neighborhood gymnasium. I read in the book that eating ice cream in public or ham and cheese sandwich was (is still?) forbidden in Iran --- so were wearing of colorful and skimpy attires, laughing in public or dancing with the opposite sex other than the brother or the husband. Gosh, these kids (male and female) dancing the Sinulog would have been jailed if they lived in that country!

I do appreciate my freedom to wear anything I want (my favorite shorts and t-shirt), eat anything I like in public or read any book I fancy, the ideal tropical climate of the island, my weekend beach life, the simple joys, my unhurried, stress-free existence. Wow, I have a lot to thank God and the Philippine government... ha...ha...ha.