Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Cebu Zoo



















I wanted to check-out the Cebu Zoo one lazy afternoon. And considering that this is the year of the tiger based on the Chinese calendar, I decided to pay a visit to Bogart, a Bengal tiger.

Bogart as you can see in the photograph was then taking a nap.
Casper and Snow White, two cross-bred poodles of the zoo, endeavored to wake him up but Bogart stubbornly refused to open his eyes. I guess Bogart was too tired from constantly entertaining visitors that the noise from the puppies didn't bother him. He even didn't bother to eat his chicken snack.

I don’t favor having animals in cages but for those ones that are lethal like the cobra, I would be amenable to having them in a safe enclosure. The zoo keeper said that one crocodile was friendly and would agree to be patted on his back, but looking at the size of his fangs, I decided to keep my hands to myself.

I’ve posted photos of the other usual zoo animals. One animal that strikes me as more than the ordinary is this local "Bisaya" dog that walks at the top of three cages. I asked he caretaker whether he ever goes to down to take his lunch or dinner. He said that the dog prefers to eat and sleep on top of the cage. In fact, the little Bisaya dog doesn’t know how to properly walk on the ground. As for the python snake, he prefers human company. … probably the cobra wasn’t a good neighbor….ha..ha..ha. The doves are also roaming free since they only leave a place when there is strife according to the caretaker.

The Cebu Zoo has recently signed an agreement with a private party to develop a few hectares of the Kalunasan area. I hope to see a bigger and better zoo next year. Meanwhile, go visit or donate; the local zoo certainly needs your help. The Cebu Zoo is located at the Capitol Hills, near Camp Marina.