Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Skywalk Extreme and Edge Coaster at the Crown Regency Cebu













On the afternoon of January 2, I was on top of a hotel tower in Cebu attempting to do something I have never done before in my life. I deliberately gave myself an adrenaline rush by riding the edge coaster, reportedly the world's first in a hotel tower, and the skywalk extreme at the Crown Regency hotel in Cebu. I came in alone at 12:30. Thanks to Jackie for giving me the two tickets as Christmas gift. I only paid Php 350 for the entrance.

The experience (dangling at the 38th floor and walking the glass walkway on a windy day) was exhilarating and frightening for someone like me who has fear of heights. It was also gratifying and empowering considering that I did it alone. There is a lingering feeling that I can do more challenging activities.

So what brought me to try this crazy stunt ? ( according to a friend who scares more easily than I
) That was the day, I finished reading the biography of Malika Oufkir, the Moroccan author of the book "Stolen Lives. " Her family (including her 3 year old brother) was incarcerated in a desert prison for 20 years because of a failed attempt by her father to assassinate the king. Malika entered prison at the age of nineteen. During those dark years, she was unable to undulge in the things she loved: reading books, dancing, singing, traveling etc. That made me realize that I was wasting my freedom by worrying about petty matters. I needed to live my life fully and explore more the things / activities (wholesome ones) I was too afraid or bashful to try.

My major new year's resolution is to overcome my fears and apprehensions, so this skywalk experience was one good way to start 2010.