Monday, January 04, 2010

New Year's celebration at Mountain View Nature Park Cebu

































I greeted the first day of year 2010 at Mountain View Nature Park at Sitio Garje, Busay, Cebu. I rented one of their cottages for a day. Going to my cottage felt like I was rock climbing. However, the area offered a good view of the new year fireworks.


I wanted a change of scene after the office Christmas party at a beach resort in Panglao Island, Bohol. Sure enough, the weather at the mountain park was frigid (water flowing from my shower was ice cold) and surprisingly scenic as you can see in the photos I took.

To get there I rode a taxi from my place in Tisa, Cebu City. With the meter on, the trip costs around Php 190. However, I promised the driver I'd pay him extra if he brings me inside the mountain park / resort. I was concerned about my new camera (with tripod) and heavy backpack (some drivers refuse since it's a steep climb), so I paid him around Php 300. The engine of the taxi conked out four times. I guess the car wanted to give up (ha...ha..ha..). The snaky climb is that steep. I got woozy from all the bends and turns. I decided to take the motorcycle going down (a perk for adrenaline junkies), although that isn't advisable according to safety conscious folks since you'll be passing a deep cliff and narrow road.

It took the taxi, cruising at regular speed without traffic, around 15 minutes to reach the mountain resort from my house. The taxi ride is short but expensive.

For those who are interested in exploring the mountain park and don't have transportation, you can also take a "habal-habal" (ride a motorcyle for hire) for Php 50 per head
at JY Square Mall in Lahug. If you are a large group, you can call the park at tel # 4192083, 4192300, 5164372, 09218347743, 09228227533 and have yourselves picked-up by their van at JY Square (Php 400 one-way). I got the phone numbers from their given flyer. I am writing down the numbers in this blog in case I lose the flyer.

When I arrived at the park, it was drizzling and cottages were fully booked. The lady at the front desk said this usually happens every December 30 and 31. I had to wait for some guests to check-out. While waiting for the cottage to be cleaned, I lounged at one of benches under the trees and proceeded to read Citra Banerjee Divakaruni's book
"The Mistress of Spices" (I took a photo of the comfortable bench above). Cottage rates range from Php 500 (good for two persons) to Php 1,500 (family of 4). They also have a campsite and camping tents ranging in price from Php 200 (for 2 kids) to 1,200.00 for (for 12 people). Bring food and water, if you go. Park refreshments are expensive.